Thursday, April 12, 2012

Currently in the works....

I've been pretty consistent posting a blog every week for the last few months, but I've recently been overwhelmed and a little scattered brain...

A few weeks ago, my car broke down and I am so thankful for my parents lending me their car in the meantime. I will have to move into my friend's living room in order to save for a car and will have to move with a roommate hopefully by June in order to make car payments. A lot of adjustments and changes in my life are about to happen... I'm just trying to remind myself that everything happens for a reason. These minor adjustments and changes are only temporary and perhaps these sacrifices will lead me to a better place in my life.

In the next month or so, I will be editing the last four photo shoots, transcribing audio and finally posting up snippets of my interviews with the b-girls. I'm currently reading a whole bunch of books about hip hop as well. So far the books have helped me develop more interview questions for my project.

If I consume myself in feeding my own knowledge, the more I am able to understand the culture and its history. Please stay tuned for upcoming posts. I am really excited about this project and definitely still have a lot to learn and do...

Once I've got my living situation and car settled, I am looking forward to my photo shoots and interviews with Asia, Ill-boogie, and Marie Poppins . I've got connections through Astro who dropped me some names on some female DJs, beatboxers and emcees that I look forward to interviewing and shooting as well.

As for now, here are the last few assignments that I published with the Los Angeles Times Community News (Pasadena Sun):

The first assignment was a demonstration organized by the SEIU United Service Workers West. Over 150 union members marched along Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena on Tuesday, April 10, 2012. The demonstration was held in response to janitors' benefits that may be stripped away from them.





















The second assignment was a rally for Kendrec McDade in which the NAACP organized in front of City Hall in Pasadena on Tuesday, April 10, 2012. McDade was killed by Pasadena police officers during an investigation that they believed to be an armed robbery. Police had shot McDade even though he was unarmed. Questions have arisen about police conduct and racial profiling shortly after the killing. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment